Exotic Socal Subculture Workshop
Time & Location
About the event
This 3-4 day workshop will have it all! Experience the Southern California subculture and exotic photo experience to Slab City, Salvation Mountain, Salton Sea (transportation included from Solana Beach), and also iconic San Diego at Balboa Park. Then spend the last day editing some of your images to perfection where Scott will demonstrate his award-winning post-processing techniques. Beautiful models will be included. This is a rare portfolio-building experience with a blend of exotic stills and breathtaking portraits. Learn how Sony Artisan and master photographer works his composition, posing, and lighting skills on-location to create beautiful portraits anywhere, anytime. Then on the last day see how he finishes off his portraits and edits them to perfection with his signature style. ALL PARTICIPANTS will receive his Photoshop Actions. Here is a gallery of inspirational photos of the areas we will be shooting.
Pre Workshop- Godox Flash for beginners (optional): Sunday May 23, 2021. 3pm to 5pm. Solana Beach.
Beginner flash workshop. Learn how to set up the Godox Flash system or SRL Strobie System. Also will be teaching how to create the perfect portrait using Scott's magic 3x3 formula. This is an additional workshop designed for those beginners wanting to learn how to use flash. Basic flash instruction and coaching like triggering or setting up your flash will not be covered during the regular workshop. $99 additional.
A FREE Special Bonus session on Sunday for those showing up early: Sunset surfing photography on Solana Beach and candid beach portraits. Bring a long lens, 70-200mm, 70-300mm, 100mm-400, 200-600mm, etc. Even a 85mm or 135mm prime may work. A small constant light during sunset may be helpful.
Sunday Day 0, May 23, 2021:
- Out of town guests arrive in Solana Beach/Del Mar area and check into the hotel of your choice. See a suggested Hotel below. Out-of-town
- 3pm - 5pm Optional Godox Flash Mini Workshop (see details above)
- 5pm - 7pm Shoot surfers on the beach and candid portraits
- 7:30 Meet and Greet dinner TBA
Monday Day 1, May 24:
- 10am Road trip to Slab City, Salvation Moutain, Saltan Sea. Transportation to be provided. Will stop off for lunch along the way. Please bring snacks and water. This is an all day experience.
- 7:30pm drive home and stop off for dinner coming home.
Tuesday Day 2, May 25:
- 4pm-7:30pm Balboa Park couple/engagement portrait session. Beautiful scenery for artistic still photos also.
- 8pm Group Dinner, Q and A
Wednesday Day 3, May 26:
- 9am - 3pm Post Processing Class, Solana Beach.
- Lunch break at 12noon-ish
- Workshop ends
What to bring:
- Camera Gear: Whatever lenses you like to use for portraits and landscape images. If not sure, a 24-70mm F2.8 and or 50mm F1.8, or 85mm F1.8 lens is a good start. I will be primarily using a 24mm F1.4 and 50mm F1.2 or 85mm F1.8 with a full-frame Sony A1. If limited on gear, during daytime, you can use a good iPhone or smart phone for wide-angle photos and video too! Smartphone are not the best for low light situations. Also a used Gopro 7 Black for $250 may work as a great action cam and wide-angle still shots for web or smaller prints. Best used during day only. Marginal quality for low light situations.
- Lighting: Students will bring their own lighting. If you do not own any I recommend bring a simple 42" 5 in 1 reflector. If you are a beginner at learning how to light your subjects, I highly recommend coming early on Sunday and take my mini Godox Flash workshop. During the main workshop I will NOT be teaching students how to set up their flash or operate it. I will be coaching and demonstrating lighting techniques, balancing ambient light and flash exposure, and light positioning techniques. ,
- I will be bringing the following lighting system: Godox AD200, Ultra 150 Video Light, Shoot thru, translucent umbrella.
- Laptop is highly recommended installed with Lightroom and Photoshop. If you are interested in a refurbished Mac 15" laptop, with powerful i7 Intel processor, speedy SSD drive with Photoshop, Lightroom, Final Cut, Adobe Premier installed and free to use forever. Please contact me. Prices start at $595
Where to Stay
Out of town guests are recommended to stay in the Solana Beach or Del Mar area. Clean and reasonable hotel suggestion:
Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach / Del Mar at under $100 a night. This is 1/2 mile from Post-processing session. This is 17mi or about 30-45min from San Diego International Airport. Pick up point for Slab City day trip will be in Solana Beach.
Final Notes: A detailed itinerary with location links will be sent out to attendees twothe weeks before workshop as we finalize plans. Please feel free to contact Scott at email@example.com.
- Exotic Socal Workshop$595+$14.88 Service fee$595+$14.88 Service fee0$0
- Godox Flash Workshop- optional$99+$2.48 Service fee$99+$2.48 Service fee0$0